6 Cups Water
2 Cu Brown lentils, picked over and rinsed
1 Large Onion
2 Large Cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
4 Ribs Celery, cut into 1 inch slices
2 Large Carrots, chunked
2 Large Potatoes, cubed
2 Large Bay leaves
1 Tea Dried thyme or marjoram
3/4 Tea Dried oregano
Pinch Crushed red pepper flakes
3 T Tomato Paste or 2 large tomatoes coarsely chopped
1 - 2 T Lemon juice
Sea Salt to taste
1. Combine all ingredients except lemon juice and salt to pressure cooker or pot.
Note: If you use pressure cooker, you must add 1 T olive oil to keep the cooker from boiling over.
2. Lock the lid into place. Over high heat bring to high pressure. Lower the heat just enough to maintain high pressure and cook for 7 minutes. Reduce pressure with a quick-release method. Remove the lid, tilting in away from you to allow any excess steam to escape.
3. Remove the bay leaves. Dissolve the tomato paste (if using) in a cup of the liquid and stir this mixture back into the pot. Alternatively, add he tomatoes. Stir in enough lemon juice to perk up the flavors. Add salt to taste. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer soup to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley.
Standard Stovetop: In a large soup pot, proceed as directed in step 1. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender, 35 to 40 minutes.
This is a really good stew, you will not even miss the meat. Try adding mushrooms.
Vegan Sprouted Lentil Burgers
2 Cups walnut, soaked for 2 hours
2 Cups sprouted lentils
2 Large carrots, peeled and grated
1 Large onion
2 Cloves garlic
¼ Cup Coconut Liquid Aminos
½ Cup olive oil
½ Cup parsley, chopped
1 Teaspoon Himalayan rock Salt.
Combine all the ingredients together in a food processor. Shape into patties and place in the dehydrator to dry for 12-14 hours.
Directions for Sprouting Beans
Soak for 15 hours. Sprout for 3 days before cooking. Use low heat - under 120 degrees - for 4-5 hours or until tender.
Sprouting increases the nutritional value and also activates the enzymes which in turn helps to eliminate the flatulance that usually goes along with beans.
Beans increase in vitamin and nutritional value after sprouting, sometimes with a very high percentage.
Sprouted Lentils 1 Cup of lentils = 6 cups of Sprouts in the jar method.
1# dried navy beans, rinsed and soaked for 10-12 hours
8 - 10 Cups water
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 Cup tomato paste
1/4 Cup molasses
3 Tablespoons sucanat or brown sugar
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons onion powder
2 Tablespoons olive oil (opt.)
1 Teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 Teaspoon paprika
Lightly boil beans in about 5 cups of water until beans are soft, 1 - 2 1/2 hours.
When the beans are soft, add more water if needed. Add remaining ingredients. Bake at 350 degrees, uncovered, 30-60 minutes, to desired consistency. May adjust seasoning to your taste.
Soaked Northern Beans made into Modern Day Baked Beans! No animal products here!
Directions for Cooking Beans (Cooking class 9/2/2019)
How much do I cook?
1 pound of dried beans = 2 cups dry beans or 6 cups of cooked beans. As a rule of thumb, allow between ½ and 1 cup per person. Cook 10 to 15 pounds of dried beans to feed 100 people. According to the California Foundation for Agriculture in the Classroom, a one-pound bag of dried beans provides 10 servings of ½ cup.
½ Cup of beans provides 10 servings of ½ cup.
According to the US Dry Bean Council dried beans provide an excellent source of protein, iron, magnesium and zinc, are high in fiber known to reduce cholesterol levels, and provide a good source of antioxidants. Beans are relatively inexpensive, provide a nourishing and filling meal and require minimal supervision while cooking, making them ideal for large gatherings like barbeques and potluck dinners.
How to prepare, soak and cook beans for reduced gas producing problems and best taste.
1. Sort and rinse dried beans, remove any broken beans look for any foreign objects like small rocks.
2. Cover beans in twice as much water beans as beans and soak overnight.
3. Drain the water and cover the beans with fresh water.
4. Bring pot to a boil and cook until tender, do not add salt or seasoning until the beans are tender as sometimes the salt will keep them from getting tender.
5. You may drain the liquid and add fresh water fresh water again if gas is a concern.
6. Add salt and the other seasonings. And continue to cook for ½ half hour or until ready to serve on a very low heat.
In a hurry and forgot to soak your beans No problem
1. Sort and rinse the beans cover the beans and bring to a boil, turn off heat and let them sit for 1 hour.
2. Drain and continue as above
Be sure to buy organic beans, they do not cost that much more and you save yourself from a Round Up and pesticides.
Cuban Black Beans
2 cups soaked black beans (1 pound)
5 cups water
¼ Cup dehydrated onions or 1 cup fresh onion
2 Tablespoons yeast flakes
1 ½ Teaspoon cumin
1 ½ McKays Chicken Like seasoning
1 Teaspoon onion powder 1/r teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon sweet basil
2 Tablespoon organic soy sauce or 1 Tablespoon Tamari
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Directions: Cook beans as directed above, add the seasonings at the end of cooking time
Vegan Cuban Black Beans are delicious, enjoy them over rice, baked potato, in a burrito, etc.
Black Bean and Corn Salsa
1 /can Black Beans 1 Can non-GMO corn
1 Red bell pepper diced 1 orange bell pepper diced
1 avocado diced ½ sweet onion diced
1 Jalapeno diced ½ Cup cilantro chopped
½ teaspoon cumin & garlic salt 2 Tablespoons lime juice
Directions: Combine all ingredients serve
Black Bean and Corn Salsa with cilantro.